The Moon, Europa

The Moon, Europa

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thor - Movie Review

I watched Thor yesterday. I had to pay extra to see it in 3D, because that was the only time it would fit into my schedule, and I would not recommend bothering with the upgrade. I expected an entertaining film with some nifty special effects and a storyline that merely gave the producers a chance to show off all the cool stuff they dreamed up. I admit my expectations going in were fairly low, but other than the 3D version not enhancing the experience much I was pleasantly surprised. The effects were well done and I was very impressed by the landscape, weapon and armor designs. What impressed me most was that it told a good story. I'm sure many will say it was a bit predictable in places but, unless it is pathetically so and this was not, I do not necessarily see that as a fault. The characters pull you in and have you cheering, silently in my case, for them from the beginning. Chis Hemsworth did a good job of portraying Thor as a likable, but reckless, character in the beginning and carried his ongoing, albeit quick, character transformation well. I would not classify the end of the film as 'happy', ie. everyone gets what they want, but it was a good ending in that it finished the story while leaving it open for a sequel.
Thor is a fun movie and I will recommend it to my friends. I give it a 7 out of a possible 10.

No comments: